Sunday, October 5, 2008

"Pops"

My husband is an "early to bed, early to rise" sort of guy. He likes to read, sip coffee, listen to soothing music, and once in a while smoke a pipe. He often refers to women as "gals." "Oh, she's a great gal." I gave up feeling guilty when he conks out early at a gathering, ( including when we are hosting ) because he can't hold his head up anymore. Other poeple have gotten used to it too. He's a bit of a grandpa man. Years ago I started calling him "Pops." This caught on with some of our friends who also lovingly call him that.

Now that we have Lil' Lucy Belle ( speaking of nick names ), his nick name has a double meaning, and he's really living up to the new aspect of it. What a wonderful Daddy. I can't think of very many people who work harder than my husband, and still he shares the dawn patrol duties every night with wee one, gives Mom lots of breaks, and is already teaching Annie the glory of good music and literature.

The other morning I got up to this.


He's always been a big Winnie -the-Pooh fan. He'll say things like "tut-tut, it looks like rain!" , "oh, bother." and my all time favorite, "sometimes I just sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits."

A good while back, we were visiting our dear friends, the Mercer family,


and Pops saw this book on the bookshelf at their house.

He pulled it off the shelf and in a sacred whisper he said "all parents should have this book." My girlfriend Heather Mercer has pretty much the best memory of anyone I know, and she logged this declaration good and tight in the bank. Sure enough, not long after we found out that Annabelle was on her way, we recieved a copy in the mail from our Mercers. And all was well in the land of Linden.
I love when Daddy reads to me . . . .


Aaahhh, sweet success . . .

To POPS!

4 comments:

Sean said...

That Pops is a good man.

Joye Lisk said...

An ode to Pops,
Who never stops,
Delighting us.
Inviting us,
To be
a better
person!

Auntie Joye

dlm said...

Holly, that was beautiful & you just won the contest for understatement of the year - "I can't think of very many people who work harder than my husband". :)

Anonymous said...

That is pretty much the sweetest and cutest blog entry ever!! Holly I didn't even know you had a blog until I stumbled across it today from Matt's blog. I like Matt's a lot but I think I might like yours better now because it has so many precious pictures of Annabelle! She's getting so big! I must see her soon!! XXX!