Thursday, December 9, 2010

I Believe



It's 2:30 in the morning, and I had to get out of bed and look at the Christmas tree. This happens to me every year since I can remember as a kid. I'll get up in the middle of the night, gaze into the twinkling lights in the still and quiet when no one is up, and it will make me thoughtful about life. This time I woke up thinking about how we met Jesus on Tuesday. He had made a lifestyle choice to wear a big red suit and grow a beautiful white beard to bring joy to so many.

Annabelle's physical therapy unit was hosting a FREE SESSION with Santa & Mrs. Claus that we could not pass up. It was just, bring your own camera and take as many photos as you want. Not the typical pay a bunch of money for one questionable photo we've experienced the last two years. We were so excited to find out when we got there, that Santa & Mrs. Claus were the REAL DEAL. They were IT. They had made this choice to BE the Clauses! Annie did her obligatory, two year old, cry of torture on Santa's lap, and they even let us do another session where we were in it to hold her. They were nothing but smiles, and patience, and sweet comforting words. I looked around the room and saw kids faced with incredible challenges with huge smiles beaming across their faces, and he would hug them as they left and say "Merry Christmas, Santa loves you." It just meant so much more than that. I wondered if he knew. I wondered if he knew what an impact he was making on them... on me. I felt like maybe he did. I felt like the doubtful mother in Miracle on 34th Street being transformed into "a believer." It was truly a divine moment.



Oh, I believe in Santa. Absolutely.

3 comments:

Stacy said...

I believe also!! Great story and they do look like a wonderful Mr.and Mrs. Claus. I love the family picture with them. Very nice. I hope Annabelle has a wonderful Christmas!!!

Me said...

I do the same thing with the tree - it just eminates it's own spirituality and I find myself quietly praying for kindness and goodwill to all.

StephLove said...

That Santa sequence is priceless.